Sunday, August 28, 2011

Getting Inspired

When I teach a quilling class, I tell my students that learning to quill is just like learning a new language.  One has to start with the ABC's.  The basic shapes and coils form the foundation of everything.  Any design can be broken down to its little components.
The ABC's of Quilling
I have found inspiration in many ordinary items.  My favorite one is the design on a cloth napkin.
Inspiration for Tree of Life Quilling
Once I had quilled the trunk, the secret of creating the design on paper was to follow the branches, then fill in the leaves, the pears and the partridge.
Basic foundation of the tree project

The finished project

Partridge in a Pear Tree, detail

I tell people that quilling is also a form of meditation for me.  The intricacy and delicacy of the process demands focus and attention.  It produces a calm, serene feeling.  When I was doing this project, the words that came to mind were those of Ecclesiastes:


Ecclesiastes 3
King James Version


1To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:2A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
4A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
6A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
7A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.







4 comments:

  1. I love this tree. It is so beautiful! I am looking forward to seeing more of your ideas! Thanks for teaching the class last night. It was really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Darcy! It was so great to meet you. Laurel speaks of you often and I am glad to finally put a face to the name.

    ReplyDelete