Monday, July 17, 2017

I Can Yarnbomb That!

There is something about being out of place that sparks joy.  I still remember the first time I ever saw a yarnbomb. I didn't quite know what to make of a tree wrapped in its own sweater in the middle of summer.  I realized that the closest storefront was a knitting shop.  To this day, I smile whenever I think of that quaint tree in San Luis Obispo.

Many years later, I heard that this type of graffiti is called yarnbombing.  I spotted flyers at the local libraries asking for contributions.  I submitted a few knitted pieces that wrapped a bike rack and a bollard. A knitter since childhood, I had recently learned to crochet. At the Rancho Penasquitos Library yarnbomb,  I found the perfect spot for my very first  granny squares - the gate to the trash area! If I could make a glimmer of joy in someone's dreary task, I had done my job!


Bollard at Rancho Penasquitos Library

A Skeleton for Katie

Granny Goat Square



Recycled yarnbomb - the pink stripes originally hugged a bike rack at the Carmel Mountain library

Trash gate at the RP library

Submission to the Yarnbomber's Dreamer Project in Tucson, AZ (2017)

My daughter titled this creation "Hanging by a Thread"


My first Blue Ribbon at the San Diego County Fair, Del Mar, CA 2017

Yarnbombed rocks - someone said she liked the concept of showing the appearance of softness, but having inner strength and substance

Ruth Lake yarnbombs

My father's Crucianelli guitar, all broken and sad, inspired me to yarnbomb it and give it a proper shroud

No comments:

Post a Comment